Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thing #16

At the last school I attended there was a wiki set up for the staff. Each department within had their own page. I was the GT liaison for the building, so I had a page for my teachers. There were many pages I could click on and find information going on within that department, with links, discussions, and lists of important items. I think wiki is a very useful tool to organize information for an organization, giving members instant access to information and a platform for input. I have used it in my classroom for lit. circles and history discussion. I have also used it for my GT students to collaborate on projects. I will continue to use it in the library and hope to add the links to images and videos. I can see how using it to show the Bluebonnet books and offer input from students on books could be fun. I enjoyed reading the posts from others for 23 Things. I can see the transformation many of us have made with becoming aware of tech tools that aid us in our quest to offer educational opportunities to the next generation.

2 comments:

  1. I have found that using wiki's make it easy to post and give information to students/parents. I've got too many wiki's to count...but each has a purpose....one of my big uses is for posting photos that I don't want out to the general public. Several of my staff members have class wiki's where students keep on line journals...it's been fun. I think we're just beginning to tap into all that a wiki can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I never thought of an online journal. I have used the discussion section as a conversation tool. Another positive for wikis vs. blogs is that if you have others commenting in discussion, one thought does not show up as primary vs. others. So if I want a lot of comments and discussion on something, I can see an equality of presentation for their thoughts.

    ReplyDelete